Smethport is located on US Route 6 in the center of McKean County in the Northwest section of Pennsylvania. The southern tier of New York State is only a ½ hour away by automobile. Key cities are near:
- Erie, PA is 2 hours away
- Pittsburgh, PA is 3.5 hours away
- Cleveland, OH is 4 hours away
- Harrisburg, PA is 4 hours away
- Philadelphia, PA is 5 hours away
- New York City, NY is 5.5 hours away
- Buffalo, NY is 2 hours away
- Toronto, Ont., Canada is 4 hours away
The town is built in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains. Smethport is built in the broad Marvin Creek Valley that joins the route led to the Allegheny River by Potato Creek. This is one of the best fishing creeks to be found in the area.
The steep hillside slopes, and broad level expanses of the Allegheny Plateau surround the borough on each side.
Regional Area Map (53K)
Local Smethport Map (194K)